Eugene Water & Electric Board Station Wire Technician in Eugene, Oregon
Station Wire Technician
Station Wire Technician
Engineering & Operations
8/18/2017 5:00 PM Pacific
The Eugene Water & Electric Board is seeking a Journey Station Wire Technician to assist with installing, operating, testing, repairing and maintaining high voltage electrical equipment in and around substations and generation stations. The technician will make regular visits to substations to perform inspections and monitor security. Ensure that equipment is operating properly, respond to alarms, look for potential problems, take readings, and perform switching.
This position is subject to the terms, conditions, and benefits of EWEB's collective bargaining agreement with the IBEW Local 659.
The first review of applications will begin on Friday, August 4, 2017.
Why This Job
As a member of the substation department you would be part of a highly skilled team responsible for the construction, operation and maintenance of EWEB's generation, transmission and distribution substations. You would work closely with systems and maintenance engineers to improve designs and resolve operational issues. The substation team plays a critical role in ensuring the reliable delivery of electric service to EWEB's customers and has the opportunity to influence future design of EWEB's transmission, generation and distribution substation facilities.
EWEB offers employees a progressive working culture devoted to providing excellent public service. Our employees work in a fast-paced environment where creativity, innovation, involvement, teamwork and professional development are supported and encouraged. EWEB is also committed to providing a work environment conducive to the safety, health, and well-being of its workforce, and offers great benefits, including but not limited to health care, vacation and sick leave, pension and paid holidays.
EWEB takes pride in our commitment to diversity and inclusion among our employees. We embrace and value differences of culture, education, experience, physical ability and unique perspectives in our workplace. We invite applications from qualified candidates who share our commitment to diversity. Attracting, retaining and advancing talent from all sources strengthens our bond with the multifaceted community we serve.
Minimum Training and Experience Required
· Experience: A minimum of three years as a Station Wire Apprentice/Technician. Electrical Utility experience preferred.
· Education and/or training: Successful completion of a three-year approved Station Wire Apprentice course. Demonstration of continuing education preferred.
· Oregon driver license: Yes Type: Class A CDL, or the ability to obtain within three months.
· Professional license or registration: None
· Post-offer background check required: Yes
· Post-offer drug test required: Yes
· Post-offer physical / functional test required: Yes
· Safety Sensitive Position: Yes
· Next step in normal progression: None
· Apprenticeship or other education/training required as a condition of employment, progression or advancement: Must maintain proficiency in basic math and electric principles taught during apprenticeship, and continue to learn and stay current with new equipment, materials and procedures in the industry. Must obtain a First Aid/CPR card, and Crane Operators card. Must obtain an Oregon Class A commercial driver license with tank and air brakes endorsement within 12 months.
· Supervisory responsibility: None
· Titles directly supervised by this position: None
· Supervision exercised over this position: Direct
· Supervised by: Station Wire Crew Leader, Station Wire Crew Leader II and Electric T&D Apparatus Supervisor.
· Type and frequency of personal contact required (general public, organizations, and EWEB employees): Daily personal contact with EWEB employees and the general public.
· Equipment, tools, machines, motor vehicles, etc., operated on the job: Hydraulically operated crane trucks and winch, bucket truck, test equipment used in substation construction and maintenance, generator, battery tester, hi-pot, TTR, Microhm, vacuum pump and other tools.
· Work Schedule: 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week or 10 hours per day, 40 hours per week, Shift: Monday-Friday, Days, Other: After-hours emergency call-out and On-Call as required.
· Physical activities (exertion, environmental conditions, risks, safety, etc.): Work outdoors in all types of weather; handles and operates high voltage equipment. Occasionally work in confined areas or off elevated structures.
We offer an extensive benefits package to help our employees stay healthy and plan for their financial futures:
Vacation , sick leave, holidays
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Short and long-term disability insurance
Flexible spending account and VEBA/HRA
Retirement pension plan
Deferred compensation plan
A summary of EWEB's benefits is available at http://www.eweb.org/Documents/about-us/summary-of-benefits.pdf
Complete details regarding coverage are located in the plan documents, summary plan descriptions, labor contracts and administrative policies that are provided to new employees.
EWEB is pleased to offer a competitive benefit package, however EWEB reserves the right to make modification or additions to these benefits, or to eliminate the benefits for former, current, or future employees at any time. Such right expressly includes the authority to modify the conditions for eligibility and entitlement for benefits, the level of coverage and the amount of required contributions for such benefit.