Indian Health Service Mechanical Engineer (Pathways Recent Graduate) in Portland, Oregon
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives
This position is being filled under the Pathways Recent Graduate Program in the occupational field of Mechanical Engineer. The position is located in Portland, Oregon with the Portland Area Indian Health Service, Office of Environmental Health and Engineering, Division of Facilities Engineering.
The Recent Graduates Programprovides employment opportunities for individuals who have recently graduated from a qualifying educational institution or program.
The Health and Human Services (HHS) Recent Graduate Program is a one-year program designed to provide an opportunity to those individuals who lack experience to participate in Federal civil service jobs, enabling them to develop on the job as they establish their career.
Eligibility: The Recent Graduates Program has the following requirements:
- Applicants must have graduated from a qualifying educational institution or program
- Applicants must apply within two years of completion of their educational program
- Veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation up to six years of their completion of a certification or degree program. For more information, please visits: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/students/
Indian Preference: The Indian Health Service (IHS) is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A developmental Mechanical Engineer would be expected to assist in performing some of the following typical duties:
- Assisting with assignments involving major building systems including heating, ventilation, air conditioning,
- plumbing, fire protection, architectural systems, electrical distribution and medical gases
- Having oversight in the development of drawings and specifications for routine projects and assist with complex projects
- Assisting with tasks involved in energy and life cycle-costs analysis of mechanical systems and equipment
- Providing engineering oversight of assigned facility repair and/or construction projects and acts as Contract Officer's Representative (COR) for assigned contracts.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional for training and meetings
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
?Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Students may apply within two months of meeting their education requirements.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Recent Graduates must sign a Participant Agreement with the Agency
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Selective Factor - MECHANICAL ENGINEERING PRINCIPLES, PRACTICES, and METHODS
Selective factors are special qualifications that are in addition to the basic and minimum requirements in a qualification standard, but are determined to be essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of a particular position.
This position require one selective placement factor - candidates possess a bachelor's degree in an engineering field of study that provides knowledge of mechanical engineering concepts, principles, and practices to identify facility mechanical system deficiencies and to prepare related engineering studies and reports. Major Fields of studies that are acceptable include a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, or includes core curriculum in processes and skills involved in planning, design, construction, and operation of facility mechanical systems. Applicants who do not meet the selective placement factor are ineligible for further consideration.
Basic Education Requirement
This position has a positive education requirement. To view the education requirements for Engineer position: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/files/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800.pd
Experience Requirement for GS-07
To qualify at the GS-07 grade level you may qualify based on specialized experience, education Or a combination of education and experience. To qualify based on experience, you must possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-05 level or equivalent pay band in the Federal Service doing the following duties: searching technical reports to obtain information relating to projects; and applying basic formulas to routine calculations. You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas: -Cumulative Grade Point Average
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below:
Education Substitution for the GS-07
Bachelor's degree with Superior Academic Achievement is qualifying for GS-07 grade level for this position.
Superior Academic Achievement: SAA is based on (1) class standing - applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses; (2) grade point average - applicants must have a grade-point average of 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on 4 years of education, or on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; OR (3) honor society membership - election to membership in a national scholastic honor society.: Bachelor's degree with Superior Academic Achievement or 1 academic year of graduate education directly related to the position being filled (or law school, as specified in qualification standards or individual occupational requirements). Superior Academic Achievement: S.A.A. is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/SEC-II/s2-e5.htm (Note: You must attach a copy of your transcripts.)
Accredited College Requirement
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 07/28/2017.
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
If hired, you will be assigned to an Excepted Service Temporary appointment. The Agency has option of extending Time-Limited appointments for up to a maximum of one year. Temporary positions not to exceed 12 months or less are subject to termination at any time. The Agency has option of extending Temporary position appointments for up to a maximum of two years.
At the successful conclusion of this program, the agency may non-competitively convert individuals to a term ( (a project-based term of employment lasting between one and four years) or permanent position in the competitive service. Conversion to a Federal competitive service position will be at the discretion of the agency and is neither guaranteed nor implied.
This position has promotion potential to the GS-11 grade level. If the position is filled at the lower grade, incumbent may be promoted to the full performance grade level once all legal and regulatory requirements are met; however, such promotion is neither automatic nor guaranteed.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Child Care-Covered Position: This position is a designated position covered by Public Law 101-630, requiring contact or control over Indian children. If you are selected, you are required to complete, sign and submit the Addendum to OF-306, Child Care; Indian Child Care Worker Position, form. Due to this requirement, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these position have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere to guilty to certain crimes.
- Driver's License: Selectee must possess and maintain a valid state drivers license. If selected, you will be required to show proof of license. IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474605900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-17 to 2017-07-28
Salary: $43,120 to $56,060 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 7
Series: 0830 Mechanical Engineering
Appointment type: Recent Graduates
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: IHS-17-WR-10019544-RG
Control number: 474605900