Oregon Health & Science University Surgical Services Technician in Portland, Oregon
Work Unit Description
South OR is the adult inpatient Operating Room at OHSU.
Work Schedule, Hours, FTE, Salary Range
- FTE: 1.0, Full Time
- Schedule: Monday - Friday, variable days, 1052-2122
- Salary Range: $23.28 - $31.50
- Location: Portland, OR (Marquam Hill)
- Job Type: Union Represented (AFSCME)
Functions/Duties of Position
The ST performs the delegated duties that ensure that the OR environment is safe, that equipment is cleaned and functions appropriately, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. The ST possesses expertise in the application of sterile and aseptic technique; he/she combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to safely facilitate invasive and/or diagnostic procedures. The ST has the ability to manage stressful/unusual situations in a positive manner, and embraces the OHSU Core Competencies (Accountability, Collaboration, Communication, Diversity, Integrity, Respect, Service Orientation, Teamwork) into his/her practice.
Surgical Technician Role Expectations:
- Demonstrate Proficiency in clinical skills/knowledge specific to Perioperative Services.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of sterile technique.
- Proficient in the scrub role in the surgical specialties.
- Provides fundamental components of patient comfort, safety, privacy and respect within the perioperative setting.
- Identifies and develops areas of expertise within the surgical specialties.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of equipment, instrumentation, and supplies.
- Performs effectively in emergent situations.
- Recognizes and effectively responds as directed in emergency situations.
- CPR certified..
- Responds appropriately as directed in a code situation.
Manages time effectively.
Accomplishes caseload assignments in a timely manner.
Completes turnover of the operating room between cases before or within the established time lines.
Demonstrates effective communication skills, which convey a positive and supportive message.
- Collaborates with surgical team members (nursing, anesthesia and surgeon) on specific issues or concerns.
- Seeks input and consultation.
- Reports incidents and errors verbally and in writing in accordance with established procedures.
- Ensures confidentiality is maintained in all forms of communication.
- Demonstrates flexibility in response to unexpected changes in workload and assignment.
- Incorporates conflict management skills in the resolution of issues.
- Participates in projects and committees as requested/assigned.
- Works collaboratively with OHSU personnel, maintaining communication that facilitates teamwork.
- Conveys a positive image of peers, colleagues, and OHSU to patients, families, the public and other health care team members.
- Teaching and Education: Participates in the education and development of others.
- Participates in orientation and teaching of area specific skills.
- Serves as a resource for other staff members, students, and residents.
- Promotes staff skill development as appropriate
- Professional Development and Knowledge Base Expectations:
- Participates in educational programs and research that contributes to the improvement of skills.
- Assumes responsibility for development of own skills.
- Recognizes and accepts the need for guidance and assistance.
- Completes all required educational programs and activities within established time lines.
- Demonstrates practice consistent with current research/standards/policies.
- Meets and maintains minimum qualifications for the position.
- Incorporates OHSU service excellence/customer service philosophy into all aspects of care provided to patients and families and in interactions within the work setting.
- Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement activities, incorporating principles into practice.
- Demonstrates ability to access departmental and organizational policies and procedures.
- Complies with organizational policies and procedures.
- Supports the missions of OHSU Perioperative Services.
- Complies with the OHSU Code of Conduct.
- Performs staff member requirements as outlined in the compliance section of the Core Competencies.
- Successful completion of a Surgical Technology program.
- Must be certified (CST) and have BLS.
- Must have excellent communication and listening skills, the ability to work collaboratively in a team, and the flexibility to prioritize and adapt in stressful situations.
- Two or more years of experience in a Level 1 trauma center.
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Title: Surgical Services Technician
Department: South OR, Main Adult Inpatient OR
Location: OHS 6A4
Drug Testable: Yes