U.S. Army Corps of Engineers POWER PLANT SHIFT OPERATOR WB-5407-00 TC-J in Trail, Oregon
Looking for a great place to work? The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is one of the best! In 2016, USACE ranked number two of government large-agency subcomponents! As rated by their employees, USACE supervisors strongly support employee development and opportunities to demonstrate leadership skills, while also maintaining an optimal work/life balance. The Corps offers a team-inspiring and collaborative work environment; providing challenging and rewarding careers across a variety of disciplines. Follow this link for more information about the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is an innovative, transformative organization providing engineering solutions to customers worldwide. Working at the Corps as a civilian employee means making a direct contribution to war fighters and their families; supporting overseas contingency operations; developing technology and systems that save the lives of soldiers and civilians; providing disaster relief; and protecting and enhancing the environment and the national economy.
About the Position:As a Power Plant Shift Operator you will be the operator-in-charge during an assigned shift at a single operator multiple purpose power project.
The William L. Jess Dam, which is headquarters for the Rogue River Basin Project, is located 30 miles northeast of Medford on the Rogue River in a scenic, mountainous and timbered canyon in Jackson County. Jackson County is arguably one of the most beautiful and livable area of the Pacific Northwest. Located in Southern Oregon, Jackson County borders Northern California and is surrounded by the majestic Cascade and Siskiyou Mountain ranges. It is centrally located along Interstate 5 between Portland and San Francisco, and just hours from the Pacific Ocean coastline. Real Estate prices are high for a rural area.
Who May Apply:
Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Civilian Employee with the Department of the Army
- Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) - Civilian Employee (non-Army)
- Current Permanent Federal Civilian Employee (non-DOD)
- Former Federal Employee, eligible for reinstatement
- Eligible due to Interagency Career Transition Program (ICTAP)
- Eligible under Veterans' Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA)
- Veterans with a service-connected disability of 30% or more
- Eligible for military spouse preference under Executive Order 13473
- Priority Placement Program, Program S (Military Spouse) registrants referred through the Automated Stopper and Referral System (ASARS) for this position
- Eligible for family member appointment under Executive Order 12721
- Eligible for NAF/AAFES Interchange Agreement
- Eligible due to an Interchange Agreement
- Eligible due to prior employment with specific agencies
- Eligible for Persons with Disabilities
In this position, you will serve as a hydro-station operator in direct charge on a shift, responsible for:
- Operation of a hydroelectric powerhouse with 2 generating units, including remotely controlled units, and consist of adjunct operating facilities such as a fish facilities, spillways, remotely controlled powerhouses, regulating outlets, remote flood control structures and related equipment.
- During other than day shifts, and on weekends and holidays, is the senior employee at the project and serves as the Project Manager's representative.
- The principal duty station is the project control room where the communication systems are located and from this command center operates, controls, coordinates and directs the operation of the project.
- Routinely makes or directs inspections to insure that established operating procedures are being followed and also to make first-hand evaluation of emergency situations which arise.
- Perform and direct work in accordance with current work practices as established and modified and assumes responsibilities for completion of work tasks in a manner which will insure safety of self, others and equipment.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional Travel for training.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) is authorized subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations; Recruitment or Relocation incentive MAY be authorized if determined to be in the best interest of the Agency; Defense National Relocation Program (DNRP) is not authorized.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- Requires shift work and/or work on rotating shifts
- Obtain and maintain a valid state drivers license
- A pre-employment medical examination is required
- Must comply with Drug Abuse Testing Program requirements
- Lift and carry frequently up to, and occasionally over, 45 pounds
- Ability to climb fixed ladders
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer
SCREEN OUT ELEMENT: Qualified applicants for this position must have the ability to perform most of the tasks of a Senior Power Plant Operator in a power plant of at least 40 megawatt power generating capacity, with occasional supervisory check and guidance. I am able to take sole command of any normal or abnormal power plant operation problem and execute a desirable solution such as could be exhibited in a recovery from a power blackout in the plant. Your resume must reflect your ability to perform this type of work. Failure to meet this screen out element will result in an ineligible rating.
Applicants must adequately possess abilities in the following job elements to be considered qualified:
- Knowledge of Equipment, Assembly, Installation, Repair, Etc.
- Operation of Power Generation Project Equipment
- Technical practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
- Use of Measuring Instruments
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (other than blueprint reading)
- Dexterity and Safety
PHYSICAL EFFORT Eye and hand coordination required to operate switches and controls. Job requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking and climbing ladders and stairs. May be required to operate large valves, apply gatelocks, lift deck hatches and other jobs requiring up to 75 pounds of pulling or turning force. Lifts and carries equipment and supplies frequently up to and occasionally over 45 pounds. Work requires prolonged standing, walking, climbing, bending, stooping, twisting, pulling, pushing, and kneeling.
WORKING CONDITIONS Works on a rotating shift, inside, in well-lighted, work areas. Works outdoors for short periods with exposure to climate extremes. Occasionally works in proximity to high voltages and currents. Incumbent is often exposed to equipment and machinery noises and outside the control room employee will be subject to the discomfort of wearing safety equipment such as hard-hats, earplugs, and respirators. Must wear appropriate safety equipment and protective clothing and successfully complete and maintain all occupational health requirements, including pulmonary capacity and other routine occupational and pre-employment medical examinations.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- A personnel security investigation may be required.
- A pre-employment physical is required.
- You may be required to wear appropriate safety clothing and/or gear.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 17 position.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay.
- Defense National Relocation Program will not be authorized
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized.
- The Cost of Housing and Real Estate prices are high for a rural area
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476512100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-12 to 2017-08-21
Salary: $45.58 to $45.58 / per hour
Pay scale & grade: WB 00
Series: 5407 Electrical Power Controlling
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: WTHE172280271990706
Control number: 476512100