Oregon Health & Science University Assistant Professor, Group Practice Leader in Portland, Oregon
Work Unit Description
The School of Dentistry shares the mission of the Oregon Health & Science University to provide educational programs, basic and clinical research, and high quality care and community programs. We strive to foster an environment of mutual respect where the free exchange of ideas can flourish. The dental school prepares graduates in general dentistry and the dental specialties to deliver compassionate and ethical oro-facial health care.
Read more about the School of Dentistry: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-dentistry
Functions/Duties of Position
The Group Practice Leader will assist in the continual development and implementation of integrated group practice program designed to educate pre-doctoral dental students utilizing a vertical group practice model, with objectives being the delivery of quality patient care, enhanced student clinical experience, and to facilitate student transition to private practice upon graduation. Group practice leaders will supervise the delivery of comprehensive care for patients within the group practice, provide administrative support to the group practice, and act as liaison to clinic management and division/department chairs.
The appointee shall provide services as assigned by the supervisor in furtherance of the university’s missions and goals of teaching, research, patient care, outreach and public service.
The duties of this position include:
- Organize and oversee regular weekly meetings (“group huddles”) with the students and care coordinator
- Serve as participating faculty in the DEN course series and comprehensive care case presentation
- Participate as a non-voting member of the Clinic Committee
- Participate as a member of the Integrated Group Organization Subcommittee and Group Leader Study Club as part of calibration development and leadership
- Plan, develop, and implement strategies for developing students’ clinical skills within the learning groups of 1st year – 4th year dental students
- Manage patient distribution within the group practice to ensure timely patient care and maximize student clinical experience
- Provide direct supervision of students during the delivery of comprehensive care to patients within the group practice
- Provide explanation, example, and instruction to students consistent with OHSU program objectives and standards, and reinforce skills according to individual and group needs
- Monitor activities and behavior of students during clinic activities to ensure the delivery of ethical and quality patient care, and report critical deviations to clinic management
- Serve as a professional role model to students
- Supervise group practice faculty, upholding departmental policies as directed by the departmental chairs/division directors
- Confer with group practice faculty, staff, and other members of student educational teams in assessing student development and competency and make recommendations to the Clinic Committee as to the progress of the student
- Confer with other Group Practice Leaders to establish and maintain a cohesive, consistent organization that works under the direction of the Associate Dean for Patient Services and the Clinic Administration, Department Chairs, and Pre-Doctoral Clinic Directors
- Assist with collection and maintenance of records and data relevant to student assessment
- Function as liaison between students within the group practice and clinic management to maintain open communication and achieve individual education plan to maximize clinical experience
- DDS/DMD degree with familiarity of all dental disciplines
- Eligibility to obtain a dental license in the state of Oregon
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, staff, administration, and students at all educational and skill levels
- Ability to problem solve with students and staff while working in and with small to large groups
- BLS issued by American Heart Association (AHA)
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.
Getting to Work: Commuting to OHSU is a unique experience and planning ahead for your first visit is highly recommended. Parking at OHSU is limited and employees are required to purchase a permit to access parking. OHSU is committed to reducing traffic congestion and rewards commuters for a variety of options. Learn about cash incentives, free shuttles, transit discounts, the aerial tram, dynamic carpooling, free ride share for early and late commuting, and request a custom trip plan at www.ohsu.edu/commute.
Job Title: Assistant Professor, Group Practice Leader
Department: School of Dentistry, Restorative Dentistry
Location: SOD 0170
Drug Testable: Yes
FTE: 1.0, Full Time
Schedule: Monday- Friday, Days
Salary Range: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
Location: Portland, OR (South Waterfront, RLSB)
Job Type: Faculty