Oregon Health & Science University Licensed Practical Nurse in Portland, Oregon
Work Unit Description
Functions/Duties of Position
The Licensed Practice Nurse (LPN) will assist the physician with patient care and follow-up providing direct and indirect patient care in a clinical setting of the Urology Clinic. Duties include, but not limited to, interviewing patients, obtaining vital signs, preparing patients and assisting physicians with patient exams and/or treatment.
Continuing responsibilities include charting and preparing charts for clinic as necessary. Additionally, the LPN will perform triage with patient phone calls to identify emergent and non-emergent situations. The LPN will help facilitate patient flow through the Urology clinic and ensure an accurate and complete medical record for each patient. The LPN assists the medical providers by coordinating departmental resources regarding tests, orders, radiology and results.
Additional responsibilities may include 1) Providing specific customer services which include screening for financial eligibility, confirming health insurance coverage and obligations, obtaining necessary authorizations for care, and scheduling appointments; 2) Facilitating communication between providers and the patient (e.g. prescription refills, return to work and FMLA forms completion, patient education, patient longitudinal follow up and tracking, etc.) Under the direction and supervision of a Licensed Independent Practitioner and in accordance with hospital policies and procedures, the LPN provides basic care as a member of the patient care team. Patient care activities are related to rooming, measuring, recording, and reporting patient information and performing simple treatments and procedures. The LPN assists in maintaining the practice environment in a clean, orderly condition including cleaning and stocking rooms. Participates in ongoing professional development and competency assessment, and participates in ongoing quality assurance and quality improvement initiatives.
- Oregon Practical Nurse License (LPN) at the time of appointment
- Previous work experience in a high volume surgical outpatient clinic, including previous work experience with multi-line phones.
- Knowledge and experience assisting in clinic based procedures
- Basic math skills
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong customer service skills including working with a diverse patient population
- Demonstrated problem solving and negotiation skills in dealing with patient concerns
- Detail oriented, ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Strong computer skills, knowledge and experience
- Positive attitude and a team player
- Previous experience with electronic medical records, including EPIC.
- Verifiable experience working in surgery clinic
- Familiar with JCAHO and OSHA standards
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Title: Licensed Practical Nurse
Department: Adult Urology
Location: CHH 10040
Drug Testable: Yes
FTE: 1.0, Full Time
Schedule: Monday through Friday 7:30am - 5:30pm with some flexibility
Salary Range: $20.00 - $23.52 per hour
Location: Portland, OR (South Waterfront)
Job Type: AFSCME union represented