Oregon Health & Science University Medical Social Worker- Adult Congenital Heart Disease in Portland, Oregon
Work Unit Description
The Care Management Department provides several major support services:
RN Care Management services ensure a coordinated approach among the various disciplines in determining appropriateness of admission and continuing stay in the hospital and planning for transition to various levels of care in the hospital, community and home. These activities include utilization review, resource management and discharge planning.
Social Worker services have an emphasis on patient and family support including crisis intervention, counseling/support systems, abuse/neglect, emotional, behavioral, end-of-life needs and community referrals. One particular specialty is working with patients and families dealing with catastrophic financial issues due to major healthcare changes.
Care Management Specialists focus on evidence-based clinical best practices including clinical pathways, evaluate clinical and financial outcomes, and work with physician champions and nursing division leaders and staff in dealing with complex care processes and any barriers to efficient and effective care.
The department is involved in various issues associated with capacity management, including the role of the bed flow manager, assuring proper placement of patients throughout the Medical Center.
- Salary range $31.80-$43.68 per hour
Functions/Duties of Position
The Medical Social Worker, as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, has the primary responsibility for assessment, counseling, care coordination, information/referral, crisis intervention, patient advocacy and associated services to patients, families, significant others and involved parties/agencies. The efforts are directed at assisting in the patient/family adjustment to illness, injury or disability and secondary adjustment to hospitalization or other treatment, and readjustment to the community. The Department has corresponding teaching and research functions related to health and healthcare delivery practices. The Medical Social Worker provides direct intervention on an as-needed basis with infants, children, adolescents, adults and elderly patients and/or families. The Medical Social Worker is expected to practice in accordance with performance standards, core values and with a commitment to service excellence. May provide social work services to patients in Adult units, Peds unit and/or ED.
ADDENUM: Adult Congential Heart Disease ( ACHD) Social Worker
- The ACHD Social Worker provides a professional continuum of services to address the psychosocial needs of patients and familias affected by Adult congential heart failure.
- Become broadly familiar with ACHD diagnoses and general medical needs, family/patient support, and case management functions
- Works with Behavioral Cardiology to provide counselling for psychosocial issues
- Act as liaison for community resources to support specific patient needs including health care coverage
- Provide crisis intervention when necessary
- Participate in weekly discussions about ACHD care with other team members to help pursue our mission
- Works with the ACHD team to design and implement effective strategies for patient transition from pediatrics, and patient retention of care at OHSU
Be a participant in ACHD research
- Masters of Social Work
- Able to implement assessments, short term counseling, crisis intervention, advocacy
- Excellent task prioritization, time management and communication skills
- CSWA in Oregon
- 2 years of hospital experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for interaction with all stakeholders, and a commitment to service excellence
- Professionally appropriate analytical and organization skills
- LCSW in Oregon
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.
Job Title: Medical Social Worker- Adult Congenital Heart Disease
Department: Care Management Social Work
Location: OHS 9A4
Drug Testable: Yes
FTE: 0.5, Part Time, Day shift
Schedule: Monday- Friday, Hours vary
Location: Portland, OR (Marquam Hill)
Job Type: Union Represented (AFSCME)