Oregon Health & Science University Medicine Coding Specialist 2 in Portland, Oregon
Work Unit Description
MCMC, The Dalles. Department Core hours are: Sunday-Saturday, 5:00am -10:00pm (with some flexibility available). Regularly scheduled work hours are required and are allowed within the Core Hours
Functions/Duties of Position
This level 2 coding position provides support to the Enterprise Coding Department for coding of physician’s fees and/or facility fees. This position requires experience in coding and requires certification with AAPC or AHIMA.
- For Professional Services coding positions: This position is responsible for reviewing clinical documentation and applying the correct coding and modifiers to evaluation and management services and non-surgical procedural services. This position ensures that the documentation supports the levels or types of service billed, ensures the documentation is in compliance with Medicare/Medicaid billing regulations, and provider documentation guidelines, CPT documentation and CMS coding guidelines
- For Facility Services coding positions: This position is responsible for reviewing documentation of outpatient diagnostic and ancillary services for diagnostic radiology, pathology, and other ancillary facility services at OHSU. This position provides support to the Enterprise Coding Department for abstracting of records, coding, and charge router submission of Facility services rendered at OHSU
- Responsible for meeting performance standards set for accurate and timely submission of charges and coding for professional and facility services rendered at OHSU.
- Working in collaboration with Enterprise Coding Leadership and billing departments, provide technical expertise regarding a broad range of third party payer and reimbursement issues
- Orient peer coders or new hires to specified coding assignments
- Requires maintaining an hourly productivity standard and quality standards as set by Enterprise Coding and based on Industry Standards
- Will require attendance of Enterprise Coding and Clinical Department meetings via conference call and WebEx
- Coding Work Queue assignment will vary based on business needs or management assignment.
*REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: *
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Minimum two years of hospital or professional services (dependent on position) experience reviewing, abstracting, and coding medical records using ICD-10-CM and CPT coding; Certification in one of the following (as indicated by the position description)
- Coding certification from AAPC or AHIMA:
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Active AHIMA membership may be required for some positions. Certified Professional Coder (CPC) through the American Academy of Professional Coders;
- OR equivalent certification.
- Knowledge of CPT, ICD-10-CM, HCPCS, Federal Register, Federal and State insurance billing laws and Mandates.
- Proficiency with word processing and Excel spreadsheets.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with individuals at all levels, physicians, nurses, administrative management, etc.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Member of the American Academy of Professional Coders and Certified Professional Coder or AHIMA certification required upon hire.
- Ability to Sitting at a computer for long periods of time
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation
- Accredited Coding Program required: AAPC Boot Camp, AHIMA Coding Boot Camp
- Knowledge of OPPS guidelines and both CPT Inpatient and Outpatient coding guidelines. CCI edits and familiarity with medical necessity guidelines, NCD and LCD requirements.
- Experience using an EMR.
- Some college course work or education in classes related to anatomy/physiology, medical terminology, CPT and ICD-10-CM coding.
- Knowledge of CPT Outpatient coding guidelines. CCI edits and familiarity with medical necessity guidelines. Experience using an EMR.
- Experience using EPIC, 3M encoder
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.
Job Title: Medicine Coding Specialist 2
Department: Enterprise coding
Location: FAB 400
Drug Testable: No
FTE: 1.0, Full Time
Schedule: Variable days, could include rotating weekend days
Salary Range: $24.59 – $33.25 per hour
Job Type: Union Represented (ONA)