Umpqua Bank Sr Counsel - Corporate Attorney in Portland, Oregon
The Sr Counsel provides legal counsel and guidance to officers, executives, and other employees regarding legal matters. Responsible for providing legal advice related bank operations, retail customer transactions, regulatory compliance and customer complaints. Assists the General Counsel in the development of policies and practices.
· Responsible for providing professional interpretations and recommendations to officers and other corporate personnel, including written memoranda and correspondence to management and other internal clients with respect to legal issues.
· Responsible for researching and analyzing complex legal issues, statutes, regulations and cases and developing guidance.
· Responsible for negotiating with outside parties on customer complaints and legal disputes.
· Assist in the development of the company’s policies and procedures.
· Responsible for anticipating, identifying, communicating and mitigating potential legal problems within the organization and developing strategies to avoid litigation and appropriately manage risk.
· Maintain current knowledge and keep informed of industry-specific regulations and ensure that appropriate risk management strategies are in place.
· Responsible for providing legal input in documents related to customer accounts, new bank products.
· Demonstrates compliance with all bank regulations for assigned job function and applies to designated job responsibilities – knowledge may be gained through coursework and on-the-job training. Keeps up to date on regulation changes.
· Follows all Bank policies and procedures, compliance regulations, and completes all required annual or job-specific training.
· Maintain a working knowledge of Bank's written policies and procedures regarding Bank Secrecy Act, Regulation CC, Regulation E, Bank Security and other regulations as applicable to this job description.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : 0-1 employees
· Bachelor's Degree and excellent academic standing from accredited university.
· Juris Doctorate: Excellent academic standing from accredited law school.
· Admitted to practice in relevant jurisdictions (OR, WA, CA) member in good standing of relevant bar association.
· More than 8 years of experience in providing legal support and advice to financial institutions either in private practice or as in-house counsel on deposit, treasury management, payments, operations and compliance matters.
· Possess a broad understanding of financial services regulations
· Comply with all applicable regulations for assigned job function and apply to designated job responsibilities.
· Demonstrate excellent analytical, organizational, communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, time management and research skills.
· Possess strong judgment, decision making, problem resolution, analytical, research, and litigation skills.
· Ability to build collegial and effective relationships with business clients, attorneys, project managers, and compliance professionals.
· Ability to train others; create, develop and deliver presentations to small and large audiences.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS
· Office environment – no specific or unusual physical or environmental demands.
· Occasional travel.
We do things a little differently here at Umpqua. Our retail stores serve as community hubs, our associates are given up to 40 hours of volunteer time each year, and we're never satisfied with the status quo. Greatness has no finish line, so we continue every day to keep people at the center of everything we do. We focus on building relationships, understanding our customers' needs and connecting to people in new and innovative ways -- always staying true to our mission of providing personalized banking for all people, whenever and however they prefer to bank.
Umpqua Bank is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, or disability. We maintain a drug-free workplace and may perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Umpqua Bank Jobs